Friday, October 19, 2012

KP, the Busy Bee


So many activities, such little time! Although I’m looking forward to some downtime, I’m thankful that I’m keeping busy with school activities and community events.

The recap:

After returning to Cadiz from Bacolod on Sunday night, I awoke Monday morning to the sound of the roosters crowing every which way. The sleep wasn’t as restful as I hoped it would be, it never quite is unless I really jam those earplugs in or I’m dead beat from the day. Normally my breakfast consists of a very fried egg, white bread, a mango, and some coffee. This morning’s breakfast was a little healthier after I had mentioned to my host sisters my preference for boiled eggs over the fried ones. I’ll have to ease my way into the wheat bread idea but for now it seems that the sugar infused white bread will have to suffice. Anyway, proceeding breakfast I took my normal 20 minute stroll to school and met up with the rest of the faculty from West I. Monday and Tuesday marked the annual Division wide Athletic and Cultural Meet so all of the participating students and coaches were clustered on Cabahug Street, the main road of the town. It’s normally jammed packed with tricycles and snack vendors. Crossing he street requires looking many times each way. As we all assembled in our respective school clusters we continued on with a “parade” around the town. Parade in the Philippines usually refers to a leisurely stroll around a few blocks and back to the starting point, but disappointingly, there aren’t any big floats or school marching band to serenade the audience.

The meet was held at Doctor Vincente F. Gustillo Memorial High School which is a hop, skip and a jump away from our campus. It accommodates nearly 4,000 students so they’ve got the room and facilities to host such an event. The morning consisted of the dance and cheer competitions. They were exciting to watch and well-choreographed. However, getting video footage of the event came at a cost. My skin was burnt to a crisp. My native skin tone is returning quickly and I’m beginning to look more mestiza by the minute, but hey I’ll just get used to it. After perspiring about 2 buckets of liquid we broke for lunch and made it back to my house for a rest.

I returned in the afternoon to witness boy boys and girls volleyball tournaments and interestingly, taekwondo. I’ve seen taekwondo on TV and would hear the grunts from the studio below me when I was living in South Korea but I finally go to witness it live! The smallest competitors were from grade 1 and were really intense!

Cadiz West 1 was close to qualifying for the area meet but both boys and girls volleyball lost in the final sets. They all looked pretty discouraged but I assured them that they put up a good fight and that they showed their best.

Hot, sticky, and positively exhausted I dragged myself home and enjoyed some downtime with my host family.

Tuesday was the cultural portion of the meet and one that I enjoyed thoroughly. First, the meet was held at a smaller school with a lot of shady area to sit under. Charles, my dance companion from World Teacher’s Day was also present because his host brother was competing in the morning’s English Declamation contest. (He received 2nd place).  Secondly, the amount of talent that the students possess in the area of song and dance is incredible. They really know how to entertain an audience and it shows that they are proud to be Filipino.

The folkloric dance was the most pleasant to watch and all dances were nearly perfect. The students with disabilities from the SPED school also participated. Some had hearing and vision impairments but they all did a phenomenal job and looked beautiful.  Some of the costumes were bright orange, while others were bright white with decorative plumage. I especially admired the story each dance told and the fluidity of the dancers. The kids have a knack for it and the instructors are meticulous in their choreography which proves to be key ingredients for a successful performance.

The awards came later in the afternoon and some of West I’s participants placed in the Folk Song completion. The day was again tremendously hot but I wasn’t as fatigued when I returned home.

In my previous posts I had mentioned that my host sister was getting married this month and that I would fulfill many roles on her special day. Well, all the loose ends had to be tied this week and all of the family members and I have been busy with handing out invitations, final dress fittings, and assembling wedding favors.

Tonight is the dress rehearsal at the church and tomorrow at 10am is when the couple actually ties the knot. I’m so excited because this is the first wedding I actually get to be in as an adult! I will be saying the first reading during the mass and I will also be placing the cord around the bride and groom before the communion. In the Catholic Church, the cord symbolizes a holy unity between the man and woman.

After the event, we will all head over to the reception and eat a plethora of delicious food, I’m sure. Additionally, my host sister’s best friend from college and I will be MC’ing the party. I’ve prepared a speech and although I don’t know a thing about being married, I know a thing or two about being in love. I won’t say anything too mushy, just the truth about how incredible it is to care for someone with all of your heart.

After the ceremony, I’ll be taking the bus back to Bacolod to celebrate the Masskara Festival with other PCVs and international volunteers. My first big Filipino Festival! The city was all dressed up last week with colorful banners and lights. Masskara proves to be one of the biggest and most anticipated in the country and many natives come from all regions to be a part of the event. The festival is comparable to Mardi Gras except without the explicit drinking and foolishness. There should be plenty of fun and delicious food to go around!

I’ll be sure to give you all the juice on the wedding and the festival. Until next week!


Best of the best,

KP

No comments:

Post a Comment