Hello All!
After much anticipation, notice of my permanent site placement is now available. I will be living and working in Cadiz City, in the province of Negros Occidental. I am happy that 2 of my Dinalupihan groupies are also with me in Cadiz. I am also clustered together with CYF volunteers and 1 lone CRM'er. This shall be a grand 2 years!
How did I find out about my site placement you may ask? Well my dear friends, it all started at a little place called Supervisors' Conference. We left our home, Resort by the Sea, in Subic, and traveled 3 hours and 30 minutes to Batangas. Along with the CYF volunteers in Subic we rose early and loaded the bus groggy but excited. The ride really didn't take as long as I expected it to, which was a relief. The buses pulled up at Lima Park Hotel just before 11 am and anxiously scrambled to give hugs and high fives to many friends we hadn't seen in the last couple of weeks. Some even since our time at IIRR. We're still 3 to a room but the Dinalupihan group have become experts at living in cramped spaces and out of a suitcases.
After unwinding for a bit, we headed to the banquet hall for lunch and the most wonderful spread of delicious pagkain was awaiting! Lettuce, and vegetables, and wheat bread, and good meats, and chicken salad. It was amazing, oh my. Living at RBS has its downfalls. Namely, we've been eating junk and grease. We aren't living with our host families anymore so a good meal comes few and far between. Anyway, I ate up like the good girl I am and before I knew it, it was time to start Sups' Con. Denny and Sara, the Country Director and Director of Volunteers in Training, warmly greeted us and started the session off with a good note. We continued on a high note, butterflies floating every which way in our stomachs and grins from ear to ear. The Regional Directors and Sector Managers began calling names to where they had decided to place the volunteers. Once called, we were to get up, receive our passport sized picture and stick in accordingly on the map. It was a grand time. They called my name and I felt really proud taking my photo and sticking it on the map. After the hurrah, we broke off into our "new" groups and met to discuss protocol with our regional managers.
The excitement still hadn't worn off and we talked well into dinner about where everyone was being placed and how close we would be to each other. So from what I know, I will be working in a 5th Grade classroom teaching English. I'm anxious to get to know my counterpart(s) and work with the community to see what projects can be implemented. Developing a library program at Cadiz West Elementary School and an after school literacy program are among the top priorities. Additionally, a water safety camp for the entire community would could be beneficial. Of course, teacher trainings and youth camps for young girls are also on the list. I'll be living with a host family again for the first couple of months , maybe until December and after that it's out on my own.
Tomorrow is a really important day as well because I will be meeting my Site Manager from Cadiz. I'm thinking it's the principal from the school I'll be working at. First impressions are always the most important and especially here in the Philippines. PC is hosting a big dinner for all of us and time after to mingle and get acquainted with our SM's.
I will be sure to keep you all up to date with the juicy details of Sups' Con. Miss you all very much and thank you for the warm birthday wishes. I felt the love from across the sea.
Best of the best always,
KP!
Come what may, I'm ready for it.
No comments:
Post a Comment